ELIZABETH VICTORIA CLARK



A writer, blogger, model, traveller and occasional actor - Elizabeth Victoria can definitely be called a jack-of-all-trades and at 23, that's definitely not a bad thing to be. She started her namesake personal style blog whilst at university and seeking a creative outlet, and it has since grown from there. Mixing minimal basics with more intricate pieces, the Canadian native takes her inspiration from the likes of 90's Kate Moss and Catherine Deneuve's wardrobe in Belle Du Jour. Her style is an eclectic mix of whatever catches her fancy and suits her body, making her a true purveyor of fashion.


How did you get into fashion? 

One morning when I was 7 or 8, I woke up and realized that I didn’t actually like any of the clothes that I owned and begged my parents to take me to the mall and let me pick out my own clothes for the first time. It was like a lightbulb went off in my mind and I was made suddenly aware of fashion and how your clothes are a representation of you. From that point on, I lived and breathed fashion, reading every fashion textbook, biography or magazine I could get my hands on, and I've been that way ever since.

What inspired you to start your own blog? 

I went to university in a smaller city called Kingston three hours outside of Toronto. The campus was gorgeous, but there was really a lack of individual style present there, and I didn't have any friends who had any real interest in fashion. I'd read blogs for years, and thought that starting my own would be an outlet for me and would be a way for me to communicate with other people who shared the same interests that I did.



What's the best thing about being young and living in Canada? What's the worst?

There is a real culture in Toronto (and probably in other major cities throughout the country) of people who are chasing the new, the cool and the different. People want modern furniture and art, stylish clothes by up-and-coming designers, or the perfect almond milk latte, and the city is responding to it. There are new restaurants, stores and cafes popping up every day, so it's an exciting place to be. The worst is the wintertime, period.

What's your favourite movie, wardrobe-wise?

Clueless is such an obvious choice, but it really captured everything that was cool in the 90's. In terms of influencing my own style, I always think of Catherine Deneuve's wardrobe in Belle Du Jour. The neutral palette, the chic French silhouette and the perfect hair and makeup are everything I adore. I think my ideal look would be a cross between Deneuve in Belle Du Jour and Gwyneth Paltrow in Royal Tenenbaums.


What's your next "must have" purchase?

I feel like I am forever in search of the perfect pair of black skinny jeans. They have to be very (very) low rise, skinny, and in either pure black or coated denim. Bonus points if they have silver zippers at the hips. I keep finding pairs that are close but they just aren't "it".

What are your hopes for the future? 

I just want to be free. I'm lucky enough that I've been able to follow my own path for the past few years, but if I do end up settling down into something more permanent, I still want the freedom to explore different parts of the world, and different parts of myself, for that matter.


And finally, words to live by? 

"There is only one very good life and that's the life that you know you want and you make it yourself." - Diana Vreeland

No comments: