JENNY WOODS

It is one thing to point and shoot, it is a quite another to capture a compelling image but rising photographer Jenny Woods manages to do it, and do it well. Her varied portfolio boasts delightfully feminine and romantic photographs that are primarily female and often have the utmost sense of other-worldliness about them. As has been mentioned so many times before by this photographer and that photographer, we are now living in an era where digital manipulation is rife but I believe that the concept of authenticity is not completely lost, and underneath the floral overlays, the value of the moment is one that Jenny lives by. She embraces imperfection and stays true to her personal style, capturing organic moments that stem from deep inside, allowing her photographs to hold fragments of her self; her thoughts; her feelings. You won't be able to look away.

Can you tell us about your current influences and inspirations?

I feel most inspired when my heart is breaking.

Your photographs often feature flowers or some essence of nature; how important are these things to you? 

I've always been attracted to beautiful, but sad things. Flowers are some of the most beautiful beings the world has offered us, yet they die so quickly.

If you could photograph anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? 

Oh my god, Jeff Buckley! Except that I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off of him :)
  
What makes someone beautiful to you? 

Beautiful, to me, is someone who is passionate and hungry for life. Someone who radiates so much from the inside, that light shines out of their teeth and eyes. If you've never met someone like that, then you can’t possibly understand what beauty is.
  
What advice would you give to someone starting off in photography and wanting to make a career out of it? 

I’m hardly the person to give advice on that. But I've learned a lot in the past 3 years. I've grown up a lot; as an artist and person. Don’t give in to the norm. Don’t try to please everyone; you will fail. Shoot and create solely for yourself and fuck the rest. If someone tells you that you aren't good enough, let that fuel you. Get angry and make art. Never stop creating. Never take breaks. Create til your fingers aren't capable of creating, and then find a new way to keep creating. Live in a bubble. Strive to create something that is truly yours, and don’t let anyone take it away.
  
When there isn't a camera in your hand, what are you doing?

To be honest, my camera isn't in my hand very often. I try to keep my creative life and daily life separate  I work Monday through Thursday at a newspaper, which takes up a lot of my time. Sometimes I feel as if I’m two different people.

What are your plans for the fast approaching summer? 

I’m actually making my move to New York City on May 1st! That’s the most exciting thing happening in my life right now. I booked my train ticket in February, so it’s just been a waiting game since then.

And finally, what makes you happy?

Happiness is a rare thing for me. I’m alone a lot with just my thoughts to keep me company. I think the happiest I've ever felt is roaming around New York; I don’t feel trapped when I’m there.

Check out Jenny's website here.


No comments: