BEC WINNEL


Based in Australia, the completely self-taught artist Bec Winnel uses an array of mediums including coloured pencils, pastels and oils to create her completely dreamy and magically feminine portraits. From a humble beginning on the craft site Etsy to being represented by Illustration Ltd, it's clear that not only does Bec have an eye for detail and a talent for realism, but she also has the most wonderful imagination.

What is the most important life lesson you've learnt so far?

This is a bit of a sad one and one that changed my life forever... In my early 20s, I used to hang out with a group of friends that my sister and boyfriend at the time used to work with. One night he was killed in a tragic accident. He was a great guy, always happy and joking around. The funeral was beautiful and very moving but I felt really disappointed in myself for not getting to know him more when he was here. In that moment, I realised I needed to appreciate and enjoy every day I have with my friends and family because you never know when they could go. 

What woman, besides your mom or grandmother, do you find inspirational?

The first lady that comes to mind is Coco Chanel. I think of her as a liberating woman. I'm so happy she designed more comfortable clothes for women such as pants and how she shifted fashion from those constricting corsets, and for inventing red lipstick! Power to the women and to their freedom to express themselves.

What one change would you like to see happen in the future?

I'd like to see the Australian Government shift from being so greedy and looking after only the rich. I'd like to see our health care system improve and better distribution of the country's wealth to the lower income earners. 

Check out more of Bec's work here!

No comments: