DONZELLY



Representing the 562, Deandre Smith is Donzelly, the 17 year old highly-skilled rapper who is obsessed with Kill Bill and is still in highschool but creating music on the side. His debut mixtape “NINE FIVE” had an early 90s west coast gangster rap feel to it with Donzelly attacking the listener with his strong vocals and although he claims to hate it, it was enjoyed by the fans. Currently working on a new project, Donzelly talks to me about his influences and keeping himself busy. He's also a nice guy who wrote me a poem/rap once (what's the difference?) so I can vouch for him.



How did you get started in music?

I got started in music on some real random shit. I just woke up one morning and was like, "I wanna rap'' and the homie Layne (owner of the brand Kitsch) was like, "I know someone with a lil home studio, lets go fuck with 'em" so we did and I been rappin' since last year. 

Who influenced you musically growing up?

I don't have favorite rappers. I have favorite albums. A big influence on me growing up was ''Get Rich or Die Tryin'', 'The Documentary'', the ''Dogg Food'' album and local rappers from around when I was younger.

Lyrically, what is the focus of your material? Is it all personal?

I used to want my lyrics to be super crazy and complex and I'd be overthinking a lot of my lines and shit so I just started telling myself to relax and just let go of unnecessary pressure. All my songs are personal. They all just a way for me to vent. Each song is like a background of what's going on in my life at the moment or just what I'm thinking at that specific time and place.


Who would be the ultimate artist to support on tour?

Ultimate artist to support on tour? Shit, Ion even know. I'd prolly choose like, Jay-Z. He's a legend and he got hella respect throughout the whole music scene so it would be big if he brought me on to tour with 'em. 

What are you doing when you aren't recording?

Shit, when I'm not recording I'm working or going to school. Tryna stay busy and out the streets.


Best moment of 2012?

Shit, of the past year my best moment would be just watching myself progress, and watching everyone around me as they continue to perfect their craft.

And finally, what's next?

What's next for me is my first official tape. To me, nine five wasn't an official tape. I didn't have my own beats. I recorded that whole thing in a night. It was rushed. My new project DMS is my real first official project that I really worked on with people. It's 100% better than nine five. I hate nine five.

Check out Donzelly's soundcloud and twitter

No comments: