GIRL POWER! ft. Sashiko Yuen

Using pencils and watercolours, Sashiko Yuen combines all things cute and grotesque to create girls who could be the princesses of a dangerous disneyland. Magical girls you wish you could transform yourself into. Or atleast be friends with. Inspired by retro culture, street fashion and all things kitsch, Sashiko currently lives in California where she creates, works on commissions and sells fantastic pieces on her online shop. 

What's the best thing about being a woman?

The best thing about being a woman is that when I wear a bathing suit I don't have to tuck a  God damn thing in. Because if I happened to be a man you bet I'd still be absolutely fabulous, doing my thing. 

What woman, besides your mom or grandmother, do you find inspirational?

That's a really hard question for answer. Can't say I've really ever had one hero or idol at any point in my life. As a kid I thought Gwen Stefani and her pink hair were what dreams were made of. Now? Idk. I'd have to say Charmaine Olivia. For her talent, beauty, and for being so damn prolific! It's wonderful to watch her grow and change. Celia Edell (aka Ceedling) is also great to watch/listen to! Fashion wise and for what she has to say about feminism, mental health, and life. Plus she's super humble and approachable. 

What changes do you hope to see in the future?

Equal rights among genders on an international level. A better informed public about sex, gender, respect, mental health, food. What happiness really means. And y'know. World peace and all that jazz.

Check out Sashiko's website and her past YOUTH DOIN THANGS interview here

No comments: